Supply-Side Forum

This is a forum to discuss Supply Side Economics and related issues.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Forum Plans

When I saw the news that Polyconomics was ending, my first thought was that I didn't want to lose the group that has been established at Talk Shop.

I tried to find a comparable message board software that I could get up and running instantly, but looking over the array of available options, it seemed that the best solution would be to set up a temporary site where we could all keep in touch while we re-create what we had.

Robert Churchill is exploring one option which would be ideal. If that fails, however, there are a lot of message board software packages available either free or at low cost. If anyone has any particular knowledge or preference in that area, all suggestions are very much appreciated. The WebBoard software itself, though ideal, since that is what we are all used to, is too expensive IMHO, for us to purchase.

My concept of the new forum is not one where I take over the role of Jude, in case any of you were worried about that. I'm not interested in dominating, or in controlling the discussion. I think there should be one or more administrators who are willing to keep the discussion at a relatively high level, but I don't have to be one of them. If there has been any failing of Talk Shop, it has been in this area. Again, IMHO, the lack of this type of posting discipline has been responsible for driving away some of our more knowledgeable and valuable members who, understandably, were unwilling to suffer through all the trash postings. That was, in part, why I left for a time.

I know there is a risk that without the backup of the Supply Side University materials, and the Memos, etc, that this will deteriorate over time. I hope not, however. And knowing the risk, perhaps we can prevent it.

6 Comments:

Blogger J. M. Eagan said...

Since it seems very likely that talk shop will go down, perhaps a deal could be made to purchase the software supporting the present forum at a discount price, if the present owners have no more use for it. Then perhaps it could be transfered to a different server under a different name.

9:36 AM  
Blogger David Wood said...

Thanks, John. That option is being explored.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Judith said...

Testing..... and excited about the opportunity to continue our discussions.
Thank you again David!!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Jule said...

Hello fellow bloggers. This is a test. How do you post a new blog, rather than a comment?

3:20 PM  
Blogger David Wood said...

Hi Jule.

Click on my name at the top of the blog and then when my profile comes up, send me an e-mail. When I have your e-mail address, I can send you an invite to join the blog so you can post new topics.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Robert P. Churchill said...

All,

I have been informed that that TalkShop computer will be indisposed for the foreseeable future. Therefore I am looking into cranking up a more standard discussion forum (one of the more web-based php-type packages, you may remember the one Poly had for a while during its shakeup a couple of years back).

I'll need a domain and a website as well, so if anyone already hosts their own sites I'll take any advice you wish to forward (and I'm soliticiting advice from lots of other folks I know, too).

Specific questions for the group are: Do you have any suggestions for a domain name that the forum will be hosted under (I'm looking at packages of 3-5 domain names so I'll have a couple for my own use and one for this use), and do you have any desire to see other information posted in conjunction with the forum (RSS feeds of commodity prices, articles written by members or other interested/ing parties, links, downloads, and what-have-you)?

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home